Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:23:18 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Norman Khine" <norman@khine.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setup of ADSL cable modem and FreeBSD support for USB -- HELP NEEDED

Norman: Don't worry about changing the ISP yet, uless access by remote is
important. Even then there are ways around this.

I just finished setting up DSL (with dynamic IP) in my LAN using FBSD
4.4-STABLE and it works beautifully for the network. This is after moving
it from a Win2K server that wasn't working well for the clients. Between
the two, I prefer FreeBSD...it's like a rock solid and eliminated a
packet-handling problem for the clients with Win2K (the MTU thing). Hve
been connected for more than a week before reboot for some new stuff
yesterday (ipfw).

I don't know about USB as I use two NICs... I really think you would have
less trouble if you just spend $10-20 and go the NIC route for the=
 hookup....

I know you will be pleased with a switch over to FBSD.... there's some
stuff for NETGRAPH you should compile into the kernel....(even though since
4.3 it's supposed to load on the fly) be sure to read the handbook on
setting up ppp, NAT (Chap 17.11) and DNS (if you set up a nameserver). You
will need to decide wether to use natd or ppp nat so the Win2K box can
resolve DNS okay... at least that was my experience...

Just thoughts for starters...

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin