Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:18:03 -0600
From:      Joe Koberg <joe@osoft.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PC card problems on 5.3-R: "CIS is too long -- truncating""pccard0:Orinoco Gold, SMC 2532W-B

I am using a Toshiba Tecra 730XCDT, a 150MHz Pentium laptop.
It has a ToPIC 95B Cardbus controller. The BIOS can place the
controller into "PCIC-compatible" or "Cardbus/16-bit" modes.

In Cardbus mode, my 3com 3c3FE575CT 100mbit card works fine.

However my two wireless cards, an Orinoco Gold and an SMC 2532W-B,
give the following message upon insertion:

   CIS is too long -- truncating
   pccard0: card has no functions
   cbb0: PC Card card activation failed

"pccardc dumpcis" says "0 slots found"

In PCIC-compatible mode, FreeBSD does not recognize the card
controller.

The wi cards work OK under PCIC mode in NetBSD 1.6.2.
The 3com card does not. NetBSD does not seem to work
with them in cardbus mode.

Thanks in advance for any help

Joe Koberg
joe at osoft dot us