Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:50:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Chris Jordan <cwjordan@corp.earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dependencies of the native jdk13 port

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 10:27:19AM -0500, Chris Jordan wrote:
> I ran into a slight problem compiling the native jdk13 port (on
> 4.2-STABLE), I hope someone might have a clue what went wrong.  Briefly,
> I went into /usr/ports/java/jdk13, typed make, followed the instructions
> to download the software and the patch file, typed make again, and I got
> an error: "BOOTDIR does not point to a valid Java 2 SDK".  I poke around
> with google, and I figure out I need to install the linux-jdk13 port
> first.  Okay, that's fine with me, and now the compile seems to be
> working correctly, but I thought, why isn't the linux-jdk13 listed as a
> dependency of the native jdk13 port?
>
> So I looked at the Makefile, and in fact the linux-jdk is listed under
> BUILD_DEPENDS there. So my question is, why didn't make go out and try
> to install the linux-jdk13 port?   Has this happened to anyone else, or
> was there something flakey in my setup?

The actual problem lies in the linux-jdk13 port.  It too requires that
the JDK (in this case the Linux bundle from Sun) be downloaded manually.
So, when the native port tries to build it as a dependency the
linux-jdk13 port will just write a message that you need to download
the JDK from Sun and exit (if you haven't downloaded it earlier),
apparently successful.  The native port then continues on with its
business until the build actually starts when the lack of a bootstrapping
JDK suddenly bites.

The linux-jdk13 port actually needs to error when the distfiles aren't
present instead of writing the message and exiting.  Then the native
port would detect this and stop, allowing the user to take the
appropriate action.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887