Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:18:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Daniel J. Wright" <Dan@DWright.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "file: table is full" error when it isn't.

Hello,

  I'm having troubles with a kernel error:

/kernel: file: table is full

  I've read up on this error, and everything I've found points to this
having to do with trying to open too many files on the same system.
However, just before the system crashes I'm able to run 'fstat | wc -l'
and see that I'm nowhere near my kernel.maxfiles setting.

  Can somebody tell me if that kernel message could be generated by
something other than having too many files open?  Is there a better method
than using fstat to determine how many files are open?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Dan