Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 13:59:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install from FS (take two)

Hi,

   I've had a few responses to my 1st posting, and I made one
obvious typo.. So...

   Current system is installed and booted from sd1.

   Dist files are in /usr/home/FreeBSD

   I want to put a system on sd0. (Yes, sd0).

   So, a: /stand/sysinstall

       b: partition the drive (ST34371W, 2Gb FBSD, 2Gb avail)

       c: label the drive  sd0s1a  (root,   64M, mnt on /    )
                           sd0s1b  (swap,  156M, not mounted)
                           sd0s1e  (var ,  128M, mnt on /var)
                           sd0s1f  (usr , 1622M, mnt on /usr)

       d: Select All the dist files for installation.

       e: Select FS for Media, /usr/home/FreeBSD as directory.

       f: Commit....  Doesn't seem to put the files in the correct
          place.  /usr on sd1f is overwritten.
                  /usr on sd0f is not touched..
          ie:
# fsck /dev/sd0f
** /dev/rsd0f
** Last Mounted on /mnt
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
1 files, 1 used, 1610370 free (18 frags, 201294 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)

   So, I go back to c: and change to:
       c: label the drive  sd0s1a  (root,   64M, mnt on /mnt    )
                           sd0s1b  (swap,  156M, not mounted    )
                           sd0s1e  (var ,  128M, mnt on /mnt/var)
                           sd0s1f  (usr , 1622M, mnt on /mnt/usr)

       which doesn't seem to work either.

   So, my question, has anyone done this? And if so, how?

   The install process seems to be getting confused about files systems
currently mounted vs. those to be installed onto. ie: sd0f cannot be
mounted on /usr since that's where the dist files are, so it has to
be mounted elsewhere, but the install doesn't seem to take this into
consideration.... Oh well... :-(

Thanks!
John
--