Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 13:18:47 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wide char support

>> Is there anything in current that provides wide character support?  I'm
>> messing around with document formatting, and I have to be involved with
>> wide character things.  One example: wcscat().  It's not the only one, I
>> just need to know if it's in *any* library, and declared in any include
>> file.

	There are several Japanese people working on stateful multibyte char
	support.  Existing codebase like glibc only supports stateless
	multibyte char.  People using iso-2022 variants (Japan, Korea,
	China, you name it) need stateful multibyte char support.
	We have some code fragment used in various software packages
	like multilingual vi or multilingual schedule management tool, and
	we would like to clean up those to fit into src/lib/whatever.
	I'll be talking about this issue a bit in my presentation at Usenix/
	Freenix99 (titled "multilingual vi") so come to presentation
	room or catch me somewhere in the conference site.

	(again, there's language barrier problem...  I think we should sort
	it out.  I believe the best way is to ban Japanese-language mailing
	list for the project, but other volunteers may have some trouble)

itojun@involved into too many projects