Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 08:02:11 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.shutdown

> This warning is bogus, rc.shutdown is not required for proper
> operation, so why complain?

The complaint is generic; it doesn't come from init itself, but from
from /bin/sh. I think special-casing its non-existance is probably
the way to go, in which case, the attempt to run it will simply be
skipped. Any objections?

This should also make it easy to integrate into 2.2. I can't see any
reason not do do so, can you? It is a minor addition, a "new feature",
sure, but there are no costs involved provided the warning is removed
and the benefits for news servers in particular are there.

The sysctl used is already in 2.2-stable. The only element missing is
sysctlbyname(3) in 2.2's libc. [Peter Wemm - did you get my request to
add it a couple of weeks ago? :-) If you have, I missed the commit
message].

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/