Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:docs/36642 (4.5 man page on ipfw new option limit is way to vague.)

The following reply was made to PR docs/36642; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc: barbish@poweruser.com
Subject: Re:docs/36642 (4.5 man page on ipfw new option limit is way to
	vague.)
Date: 17 Aug 2002 14:58:43 +0000

 <I find this verbiage hard to comprehend what the author is trying to
  <say.
 <using this example

 <ipfw add allow tcp from any to me setup limit src-addr 4

 <Is it saying that for each unique ip address in the src ip
 <address field it will allow up to 4 simultaneous connections.

 Look at the example in the man page:
 The latter can be placed on a server to make sure that a single client
 does not use more than 4 simultaneous connections.

 >So I would see

 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  rejected

 >or would I see

 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  accept
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  rejected
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  rejected
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.12  rejected
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  rejected
 >src_ip_addr 122.33.45.11  rejected

 Well, according to the example in the man page, you would see what's
 behind door number 1.

 >How does Limit know when a packet has completed so as the remove it
 >from the count?

 One would assume that it uses a process similar or identical to natd.
 It keeps a table of active connections.

 >The real question is what is the limit option really doing and
 >how does he do it?

 Limit is allowing ipfw a new way to tune their networks reaction under
 load, and/or allowing administrators more granularity in their
 filtering, (e.g. We only want 4 of our techs using irc at any one time.)

 I don't agree that a man page should explain every little detail about
 it's inner workings.  There are plenty of binaries that have been around
 for years with less documentation than this.

 I recommend we close this pr out.

 Josh