Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:53:08 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Johnson <mjohnson@browz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: virus now in my boot record

* Mike Johnson <mjohnson@browz.com> [000218 16:46] wrote:
> Help....
>     I have a Win98 system with 2 hard drives.. C: for my win 98
> and I formatted the D; and installed FreeBSD 3.4 without any major
> problems...upon rebooting for the 1st time after installing FreeBSD,
> I received the following virus notification for NAV..
>
> "Master Boot Record infected with the 'Bloodhound.mbr virus"
>
> NAV could not remove it...
>
> Have you heard of this happening before??????

yes, but it's not what you think.

> My system was clean before the install of FreeBSD 3.4.. could
> your CDROM have been made with this virus?

Please wrap lines at 70 characters.

no.

Norton has been mis-detecting this for ages now, your computer is not
infected.

> Also, Win98 comes up only and I have no option to boot from
> FreeBSD or Win98... is this Normal and If so how do I start FreeBSD?

I guess you didn't bother to install a boot manager when FreeBSD asked
you about it, try getting OSBS from:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/osbsbeta.exe

It's a nifty boot selector that should let you retroactively install
a boot manager so you can get to both FreeBSD and Windows.

> thanks.. hope to be using this alot in our Firewall development.

We do too. :)

welcome aboard,
-Alfred