Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:51:04 -0500
From:      "Chris Kulish" <lists@tekengine.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Failed install of 4.7 on laptop...

This should get you past that:

Booting [kernel] in 10 seconds...
[press space key]
ok boot -c
[...boot messages...]
config> eisa 0
config> quit

hth,

Chris Kulish

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG] On Behalf Of Bob Johnson
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 10:39 PM
To: berninme@muohio.edu; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On Monday 14 October 2002 02:35 pm, Mike Berning appears to have
written:
> When I attempt to install FreeBSD 4.7, or any 4.x for that matter, I
> recieve this error during the initial boot.
>
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor = 0x8086, dev = 0x2445) at 31.5 irq 11
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor = 0x8086, dev = 0x2445) at 31.6 irq 11

Unless something changed with 4.7, that error shouldn't prevent
installation, unless the unknown card was some critical device,
like your hard drive.  If it is simply your sound card, the install
should continue happily without it.

> I've tried doing a kernel configuration to disable device pci0, but
> it says that this device doesn't exist. I know that pci0 is my
> soundcard because I tried to install 5.0 and it showed that it was
> multimedia device and soundcard. There is no way to disable sound in
> the bios. Does anybody have an idea about how to get around this
> problem, thanks in advance, mike

Are you getting any other error messages or clues?  Is the error
message above the last thing that appears on the screen?  If not,
what is?

- Bob