Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 13:30:09 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrew Herdman <andrew@why.whine.com>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oddness with NCR53C810

On May 25, Andrew Herdman <andrew@why.whine.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 May 1997, J Wunsch wrote:
>
> > As Andrew Herdman wrote:
> >
> > > ncr0 <ncr 53c810a scsi> rev 17 int a irq 12 on pci0:11:0
> > > ncr0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> > > scbus1 at ncr0 bus 0
> > > ^^^^^
> > >   This is it... it stops here.
> >
> > Do you have scbus1 hardwired to ncr0 in your kernel?
> >
> > ncr0 <ncr 53c810a scsi> rev 18 int a irq 12 on pci0:9:0
> > scbus0 at ncr0 bus 0
> > ncr1 <ncr 53c810 scsi> rev 2 int a irq 11 on pci0:12:0
> > scbus1 at ncr1 bus 0
>
> Yes, this is the relevant kernel config:
>
> controller      bt0
> controller      ncr0
> controller      scbus0  at bt0
> controller      scbus1  at ncr0

I guess the SCSI code somewhere assumes that scbus0 is probed
before scbus1, and because of the wired names, this assumption
may not hold for your system. You could try exchanging the NCR
and BusLogic cards, this could make a difference. I do not
expect the NCR driver to be the culprit, but will look into
this later (don't have the time right now, sorry).

Regards, STefan