Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 00:24:37 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Location of IP masqurade docs

Wayne M Barnes stated:
: Dear Stablizers,
:
:     My 4.0 system dials out over an external modem, and I have
: here at home a W98 system connected to the FreeBSD system
: over ethernet, expecting the FreeBSD system to be the Gateway.
:
:     How do I set this up?  Just setting gateway_enable="YES"
: does not seem to be enough.  "IP masquerade" only appears in
: the hype/advertising sections of the handbook directory,
: as far as I can find.
:
:     Is there another technical name for this?
:
:     I would be grateful for more recipe hints.  My system
: does dial out and connect to the world using ppp, but noow
: I want to share this connection with other computers in the house.
:
:     The FreeBSD system's rc.conf.local specifies ip addresses as:
:     ifconfig_ppp0=""
:     ifconfig_dc0="inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0"
:     hostname="chica.renaldo.net"
:
:     That last host name is not really legal.  Is that a problem?
: In /etc/resolv.conf, I actually have another domain name set
: (the one of my IP, a university).
:
:     Well, I don't want to go on too long, if you can just
: please answer with a nice link to a detailed recipe, or
: a few .conf files that work for you, I would be ever so
: grateful.

Wayne-

There is a pretty nice (not sure how up-to-date it is because
I haven't looked at it in awhile) explanation on how to do just
this very thing using userland ppp (which has builtin aliasing).

See the "PPP - Pedantic PPP Primer"

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html

HTH,
Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU