Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 18:07:47 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Tomas Svensson <tsn@gbdev.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 12:49:02PM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> > You are right that switching TCP_NODELAY off does fix it, but it's not
> > caused by congestion I can assure you.
>
>=20
> Whether the packet loss is random or not, there is packet loss occuring.
> What's the exact network setup between the two machines?  Perhaps it's a
> collision occuring each time.

genius(laptop)/aue0 usb ethernet. (-current)

10 base half duplex hub

10 base half duplex hub

transwarp(dual processor server)/fxp0 onboard ethernet. (-stable).
=20
> I guess you could try running netstat -i on each computer before and after
> to see if you can see the problem occur at that layer.

I wish that I had an ether-crosser cable so I could plug the two
machines directly together.

I've had this problem for several weeks now.  I would imagine that it
would be slightly random if it was the network infrastructure, but it's
not.

Joe

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q--