Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:03:41 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: working in interactive mode

Oh, this feels good! Someone has actually asked a question in my area of
expertize, so I can finally help others instead of being helped all the
time. :-)

At 12:01 29-12-1998 -0800, larry_nilsen wrote:
>My big Question is how am i suppose to type "at" when the
>only thing my keyboard will respond to is ~.
>is there somthing Im missing. To be able to type "at"
>and get an OK back? right now all i see is that
>rectangle black box and no prompt to type at.

At that point you are communicating directly with your modem. Your keyboard
is working fine, and whatever you type is sent to the modem. Whatever is
sent back from the modem is then displayed on your monitor.

Your modem can be set up to echo back whatever you send to it, or NOT to
echo it back. Chances are its default settings are to echo back. If that is
the case, type ATZ<enter> rather than just AT. You should receive "OK" from
the modem. You should see everything you type after that.

I said "should" because most modern modems let you change their defaults.
If yours are changed, consult your modem manual on how to make echo the
default. Also, you may want to read your modem manual for the specific
command to turn echoing back without typing ATZ (since ATZ restores ALL
defaults, that may not be what you want--or it may be exactly what you
want, depending on your modem and how it is configured).

Adam

P.S. Theoretically, modem commands are case sensitive and should be typed
in upper case: AT, not at. In reality, most new modems accept the commands
regardless of the case.

           ===> Whiz Kid Technomagic <===
             http://www.whizkidtech.net/
    The resource center for webmasters and web users
       Winner of the Starting Point Hot Site award
            Winner of the Lighthouse Award
             Home of the Web Magic Award