Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:33:48 +0100
From:      "Joao Barros" <joao.barros@gmail.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

On 6/25/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> I'm currently weighing options ... my last two servers were HP Proliant,
> and I *really* like them, but I might have a line on a supplier in Panama
> that deals in Dell Servers and not HP ...
>
> Looking at Dell's web site, the PowerEdge has an optional "Remote Access
> Controller" that will it *sounds* like will give me similar functionality
> as HPs iLO ...
>
> But, I've heard bad things about their 'desktop offerings', and am not
> sure if that follows through to their "Servers" ...
>
> So, I'm kinda looking for both good, and bad, experiences with the
> PowerEdge stuff ... anyone with opinions?

I recently quit from a 4 year job on an ISP with around 300 Dell
machines (almost all server models), some older Compaq (Proliant 3000)
and recently, about 1 year, some IBM.
During this time I found out this:
- Compaq Proliant 3000: Failed Power supplys occasionaly. Failed
SmartArrays after a
reboot.
When we called in with something failed, not many questions were
asked, they send the part with no problems.

- IBM Dual Xeons, Quad Xeons, Xeon and Opteron Blades, and Power5: 3
racks full of machines and had 1 server dead at arrival, 1 FC card
dead after some months and nothing else failed!
Support was miserable but it wasn't from IBM.

- Dell: we had almost all models and all had problems. Power supplys,
memory, motherboards, fans. Disks, well guess that's not Dell's fault.
I remember the 6450 model, a quad Xeon that had a plastic door. If you
close the door with some speed, nothing ridiculous, the server would
shutdown. They were usually clustered, neat hein?
Dell support even at the highest level is a pain. You hear something
like: Customer: we have a problem with a blade server. Support: Please
disconnect the power from the machine and connect again. Customer: But
that will powerdown ALL the blades!
Eventually the contract was raised from Silver and Gold to Platinum on
all machines so that we could skip the normal support lines...

I had a small stop on a bank last month and they work exclusively with
HP, around 3500 servers.
Major problems were with disks and some powersupplys and I think dead
drives are to be expected.
Onboard iLOs rock!!!
Coming from Dell Hell I was pretty impressed with HP's machines.

If I ever am in a position to choose, I'd go with either HP or IBM,
although HP seems to have a stronger Opteron offer.

--
Joao Barros