Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 13:01:20 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, FreeBSD-CURRENT <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: write(2) returns error saying read only filesystem when trying to  write to a partition

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >>| Partition table | Data                                            |
> >>                  | Slice 1           | Slice 2 | Slice 3 | Slice 4 |
> >>                  | Disklabel | Data  |
> >>                              |   c   |
> >>                              |a|b|f|g|
> >
> >That is really an excellent diagram.  That should be in an FAQ
> >somewhere.  Doc committers?
>
> Except it is not actually correct.  The BSD disklabel is usually
> inside the 'a' partition and certainly inside the 'c'

Is that so? Mea culpa, then. At least I knew what I was talking about
wrt partition table and the actual slices.

This diagram is just an example. There can be less slices, it doesn't
show extended partitions (extended slices??? :), it suggests an ordering
that is not necessary. If this is going to the FAQ or the handbook, a
number of notes should be made to point out these (and possibly others
I'm overlooking right now) issues.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		"The bronze landed last, which canceled that method of impartial
choice."