Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:13:44 -0600
From:      Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
To:        "Lowkrantz, Goran" <Goran.Lowkrantz@infologigruppen.se>
Cc:        "'Rob Snow'" <lists@dympna.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE panics on daily?

"Lowkrantz, Goran" wrote:

> Just a quick thought, these are the times of the periodic daily and weekly
> jobs, resp.
>
> One of my 4-S test systems did exactly the same thing and I think it has to
> do with a deep ls or find on a Vinum RAID-5 volume. I have sent info to Greg
> but we have not yet been able to check it out.
>
> I really don't know if it's Vinum or FBSD, so please post your
> configuration, maybe someone else can see what's going on.

I've seen the same thing.  I have a 7 disk RAID5 vinum setup.
I started a network copy onto the volume.  The copy hung
during the transfer.  The machine was fine, but the vinum
volume was unresponsive.  I rebooted, and fscked the vinum
volume.  All was well.  But a find on the vinum volume
panicked the machine.  I rebuilt the vinum volume as a
stripe set and it hasn't panicked yet.  I haven't investigated
this any further.

--
Alan Edmonds, KB5ZUY               Sterling Software
                                   M/S 132