Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 00:23:35 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>, Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

Mark Valentine wrote:

> > From: wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
> > Date: Thu 11 Jul, 2002
> > Subject: Re: Package system flaws?
>
> > The idea I like the best is to have the filesets (picture a .tar.gz
> > or a .zip here) be external references on the fileserver; the XML
> > contains all the metadata and URLs for the filesets.  As you fetch
> > the XML, or after you've fetched all of the XML, you fetch the
> > filesets you're not skipping.  Once you have the filesets on local
> > storage, you can rewrite the URL references or convert them to
> > in-line encoding, leaving the ones that have been skipped in the
> > original URL encoding.
>
> This is equivalent to my proposal, except that I don't see much value
> in converting to the in-line encoding, and my method specifies a directory
> name (or any suitable simple archive name) containing a package.xml and
> compressed file sets, whereas you presumably expect the XML file to be the
> primary referenced object.

Yes.  You see, you could distribute and update the XML files via CVSup,
the way we do with the ports bits now.

> > For instance:
> >
> > <package name="cat">
> >   <fileset type="binaries" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.bin.tar.gz" root="@ROOT@" />
> >   <fileset type="manpages" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.man.tar.gz" root="@MAN@" />
> >   <fileset type="language" encoding="en_US" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.en_US.tar.gz" />
> >   <fileset type="language" encoding="en_UK" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.en_UK.tar.gz" />
> >   <fileset type="language" encoding="fr_FR" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.fr_FR.tar.gz" />
> > </package>
>
> My equivalent would be:
>
>   <package name="cat">
>     <fileset type="binaries" location="bin.tar.gz" root="@ROOT@" />
>     <fileset type="manpages" location="man.tar.gz" root="@MAN@" />
>     <fileset type="language" encoding="en_US" location="en_US.tar.gz" />
>     <fileset type="language" encoding="en_UK" location="en_UK.tar.gz" />
>     <fileset type="language" encoding="fr_FR" location="fr_FR.tar.gz" />
>   </package>
>
> or:
>
>   name=cat
>   bin=bin.tar.gz
>   man=man.tar.gz
>   lang[en_US]=en_US.tar.gz
>   lang[en_UK]=en_UK.tar.gz
>   lang[fr_FR]=fr_FR.tar.gz
>
> according to taste.
>
> > Now assume you specified you want to install only the en_UK language
> > files.  pkg_add would leave the en_US and fr_FR as external references,
> > download the binaries, man pages, and en_UK filesets, and convert those
> > three into local file references OR directly encode them into the
> > package file.
>
> Same except that I don't need the last step, though I could optionally
> bundle up for archiving purposes.

Not storing them in-line on the local system means you have to have a
"standard" place to store the filesets, or tell the program where to
put them (or where they already are) every time you run it.  If you pick
a standard location, somebody somewhere someday is going to run it out
of space and bitch.  Converting the files to inline on disk-like media
(i.e. local hard drive, on a CD-ROM, etc) makes the packages much
easier to copy around.  But that is certainly an optional step.

The default place to stick the filesets downloaded, IMHO, is the
directory where the XML file is located.  No surprises, easy to find
a filesystem that has space available, etc.