Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:30:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@r74h25.res.gatech.edu>
Cc:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape communicator versions?

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Charles Henrich wrote:
> > There are two bsd versions of communicator now, one file identifies as:
> >
> > netscape: 386BSD demand paged executable
> >
> >     and one as
> >
> > netscape: BSD/386 demand paged (first page unmapped) pure ex
> >
> > Which is the first?
>

> 	I suspect that the former, from:
>
> netscape-v40b2-export.x86-unknown-bsd.tar.gz
>
> 	is the BSD/386 1.1 version.
>
> 	I would guess that the latter, from:
>
> netscape-v40b2-export.x86-unknown-bsd2.tar.gz
>
> 	is the BSD/OS 2.x version.  The first one was a little more stable
> on my machine (SMP kernel, -current from around the end of January) than
> the second, so I went with that one.
>
> 	There are still a number of bugs with it, though.  For instance, it
> doesn't seem to respond to -geometry, and crashes whenever you try to look
> at the source to a page with a java applet in it.  (check out the non-java
> and java versions of the SGI home page -- it only crashes on the Java
> version)
>

> Ken
> --
> Kenneth Merry
> ken@r74h25.res.gatech.edu
> Disclaimer:  I don't speak for GTRI, GT, or Elvis.

Communicator has various bugs involving JAVA.  I have about 6 graphics
intensive applets I have been playing with (trying to design a NEAT logo 8).
All of them operate correctly in `appletviewer' and look right on MSIE3.
I am playing with a double-buffered video scheme, and something in
Communicator keeps blanking my background buffer.

	brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and   \  Wm Brian and Lori McCane
he represents the last great schizm     \  McCane Consulting
among the gods. Evil though he obviously \  root@bmccane.uit.net
is, he is a mighty figure, this father of \  http://bmccane.uit.net/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons   \  http://bmccane.uit.net/~pictures/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.     \  http://bmccane.uit.net/~bmccane/