Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:26:53 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:52:45 -0700 (PDT)
"Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Joshua Lee wrote:
> > "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com> wrote:
> > > For example, the naturalist cannot account for human reason, since
> > > according to a naturalist, everything that happens in the human
> > > brain is just electro-chemical responses in the brain which have
> > > nothing to do with "truth", "error", "right reason", etc.  If a
> > > person is a
> >
> > A computer programmer cannot account for computer programms, because
> > they are composed of moving electrons that have nothing to do with:
> > printf ("Hello world.\n");
>
> Computer programs are not electrons.  They are non-material, a set
> of instructions.  Anyway, your point was?

My point is that just as in computer science there are layers of
abstraction, so too in psychology, etc. There's no reason to reject
psychology because of the existence of neurons, according to the
scientific accounting. It especially does not demand only a certain faith as you claim.

> > > naturalist, he has no reason to be a naturalist.  He must also say
> > > that other people's beliefs in God are also only the result of
> > > electro-chemical responses in the brain.  He could never know
> > > whether or not he was right, since every attempt to reason his way
> > > to the truth is just more electro-chemical responses in the brain,
> > > and hence, the results of *these* reactions are also suspect.
> >
> > If this is an example of your "superior xtian reason", I'll have
> > none of it. ;-)
>
> You know, you could, if you have a point to make, put your money where
> your mouth is and point out how the argument is fallacious if you
> really think it is.  Your comment hardly counts as a refutation.

See above. Your reduction is absurd.