Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 12:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      dlr <dlr@asylum.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        dlr@asylum.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding scsi hard drive

Mike helped me setting up scsi hd:

|> npx0 is the math coprocessor. it was hanging there becuase that is what
|> came right after the probe for the scsi card and drive.
|
|Wrong way 'round; it was hanging there because of what happens _next_.

the problem turned out to be irq conflict. i chose a different irq
address for the adaptec scsi and bootup then proceeded normally. It probed
for the cards and recognized the drive but wouldn't boot till i changed it.

|> fdisk -i doesn't want to work though:
|>
|> root> fdisk -i rsd0
|> fdisk: Can't get file status of rsd0
|
|Does the disk have a DOS-style partition table?
|Try fdisk -i /dev/rsd0c

this was great advice as fdisk wouldn't look at the drive unless this was
done. The drive was formatted before being sent.

|> also, since putting in the adaptec card it won't boot off of floppy ( i
|> thought i would just boot off of floppy and install new system on this
|> new disk).
|>
|> I can take the scsi card out (adaptec) and it will boot from floppy. I
|> presume there is some setting I have yet to discover that is doing this.
|
|Does the adaptec card have an onboard floppy controller?  You'll probably
|have to disable it if it does 8)

That also fixed the problem and also allowed the QIC80 tape to be recognized.
It was documented in the manual.. doh.

I still had significant problems with fdisk and disklabel. These were
mostly related to my inexperience (never done it before). I became rather
frustrated, booted off floppy and did it from the installation script. I
still couldn't get it to boot off sd0 when it asks you to remove the boot
disk and boot off the hd. Bootcode was supposedly installed.
i signified sd(0,a)/kernel but it went to wd(0,a) anyway. I'm using v2.0.

There may have been a way to do it with sysinstall?

it's done. I'll be able to do it faster next time.

dave