Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:21:20 -0600
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bs_13943_34262@adimus.de, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

On 16 December 1998 at 18:02, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I think that for a language to qualify,
    [to be in the base FreeBSD distribution]
> it must first be successful to
> a degree several orders of magnitude greater than that of Haskell.  Or
> any other functional programming language, for that matter.
>
> - Jordan

I disagree strongly!  One could argue that Visual Basic and Java and
what-have-you are quite ``successful,'' but that doesn't mean that any
of them should be part of the base FreeBSD distribution.

The only languages and tools that should be part of the base FreeBSD
distribution, IMHO, are those required to build the system.  I could
even agree with someone who argues that even those should not be
included in the base system.

Said another way, the base system should be as small as possible
without making bootstrapping or installing too complex.   There
are legitimate complaints about too much bloat from including
sendmail, uucp, cc, and others, much less FORTRAN.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org