Date:      Thu, 02 May 1996 09:43:36 +0930
From:      Garth Kidd <garth@dogbert.systems.sa.gov.au>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        HMG coA reductase <s_koyin@eduserv.its.unimelb.EDU.AU>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: IP addresses

> From: HMG coA reductase <s_koyin@eduserv.its.unimelb.EDU.AU>
>
> If i don't know the IP address of this machine, but know everything else
> (DNS, gateway, etc), is it possible to find out by some means what my IP
> is? I'm on an Ethernet. BOOTP doesn't work.

You could try ARP :)

> What if there's this other server on another LAN that does BOOTP nicely
> for  Novell netware, will it serve BOOTP for my FreeBSD box on that LAN?

Yup.  BOOTP is BOOTP.  LAN WorkGroup won't be able to identify the box by
cross-checking your ethernet address against an active connection, so the
machine will come up as "unknown" in the address tables.  That won't affect
your functionality, however.

> From: Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
>
> If you haven't had an address assigned to the machine, then it doesn't
> have one.  IP addresses are not a function of the machine's hardware.

The BOOTP server that comes with LAN WorkGroup (AFAIK, the only BOOTP
server that will run on a Novell Netware fileserver) will create new
entries in its tables automatically if it senses a new machine on a segment
it serves and has some spare address space to assign.

The only flaw is that if a machine moves from one segment to another, the
BOOTP server will notice and refuse to do anything about it, forcing the
administrator to manually wade through the tables and delete the old entry
so that the recently-moved machine can be assigned a new address.

>> What if there's this other server on another LAN that does BOOTP nicely
>> for Novell netware, will it serve BOOTP for my FreeBSD box on that
>> LAN?
>
> See the anser above.  If the LAN's aren't connected, then you want
> questions@mindreading.voodo.org.  If they are, you need to find out if
> the other server actually does BOOTP (on a Novell LAN?  I'd
> be dubious),

If they've installed LAN WorkGroup, they'll be running the LWG BOOTP server
on their fileserver to assign addresses to any workstation that runs the
LWG IP stack.  It runs unadulterated BOOTP, however, and will happily
assign addresses to Unix boxen if they ask.  The only caveats are that it
won't be able to associate the IP address for the Unix box with a Netware
username (who cares?) and that if you move the Unix box (or any
workstation) from one segment to another you have to do some messy work at
the Netware server console.

--
garth@dogbert.systems.sa.gov.au    | Garth Kidd
 +61-8-207-7740 (voice)            | Network Services Branch