Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Distributed Lock Manager on FreeBSD

Hi Amancio Hasty;  On 17-Sep-97 you wrote:

>  Microsoft's strategy for server clusters:
>

>  http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/info/reliabilityoverview.htm

It looks like a very large undertaking on their part.  I think I disagree
with some of their concepts, but if your intent is to create similar
service under FreeBSD, then this is about what we are building.

If you want to make our work NT API compliant, forget it :-)  Even if their
API would have been excellent (which it is not), the restrictions,
constrictions, and obstructions would be too much.

A DLM is key to these technologies.  The you need an RDBMS which
understands the sharing concept.  A raw/block device is to follow, then a
file system.  This is the order in which we are going, anyway.

One thing i agree with is that clustering is less sexy but much more
useful, on many small/medium/large systems than distributed.

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 16-Sep-97, 23:15:08
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313