Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:49:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Campbell <bc-freebsd@vicious.dropbear.id.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccardd and ep0 (3c589D)

Quick overview:

	3.1-RELEASE kernel with ep0 on a laptop results in 'No buffer
	space available' when used with pccardd.  3c589D.  Unloads ep0
	right after getting mac address.

Detail:

Recently work has deigned to allocate myself with a humble HP Omnibook for
my purposes.  The FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE GENERIC kernel works fine with the
zp0 device, however of course the APM side of things doesn't work.

Recompiling the kernel with the following added options to GENERIC:

	# APM support
	device apm0 at isa? flags 0x31

	# PCMCIA support
	controller card0
	device pcic0 at card?
	device pcic1 at card?
	options PCIC_RESUME_RESET

	# ep0 driver (3com) to work under pccardd
	device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr

	# Disable the zp0 driver, we don't need it, use ep0 instead with
	# laptops (according to various gnats #s)
	# device zp0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

	# Reset various things after a resume
	options PSM_HOOKAPM # Hook the APM resume event, useful for some laptops
	options PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND # reset the device at the resume event
	options "CPU_SUSP_HLT"

results in a kernel which can be suspended quite happily, which is the
main thing I want.  ep0 can be brought up and down quite happily, but when
any traffic is sent over that link:

 ping: sendto: No buffer space available

Patching if_ep.c results in the following messages in quick successions:

	ep0: entering ep_pccard_init
	ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
	ep0: unload

Huh?  It unloads it right away?

	Return IRQ=10
	pccardd[237]: driver allocation failed for 3Com Corporation

The ep0 messages were inserted into ep_pccard_init() and ep_unload()
(ep_attach() is the middle one).  Either I'm missing something glaringly
obvious which hasn't made it into gnats or the mailing lists, or there is
something wrong with my hardware which triggers an unload straight away.

Ideas?  Known undocumented problem? Known documented problem to which I
haven't found the document ;) ?

--==--
Bruce.

Frustrated.