Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 14:51:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, John Kelly wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 1998 14:23:20 -0700 (MST), Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> I'm doing some simple testing to see if FreeBSD is feasible as a
> >> terminal server.  My first test of 2.2.5-stable, using only two ports
> >> simultaneously, indicates there is considerable  efficiency loss due
> >> to transmit underruns.  Next I'm going back to 2.2.2-release which
> >> reputedly performed better, and I'll try the same test on a different
> >> box to rule out hardware contributing to the problem.
>
> >What getty are you using?
>
> None whatsoever.  This is a PPPD-only terminal server.  My ttys
> entries look like this:
>
>     ttyd3 "/usr/sbin/pppd +pap -detach 57600" unknown on secure

I use both pppd and userland PPP (ijppp), and I have gotten a bit more
consistent results with ijppp. I have gotten very good results with ijppp
running at 115200, like 35k / sec on web access logs (very highly
compressible) using normal rockwell 33.6 modems (on 3 ports, local
COM2-4).  ijppp does quite well in conjunction with mgetty, since the
newer mgetty autosenses PAP/CHAP, etc., and is very configurable.

The portion I would be more worried about would be the multiport serial
cards. I know Cyclades has some pretty cool PCI multiport boards, but it
adds a whole diferent dimension of possible headaches. Anyone used these
(or similar) multiport boards?

Kevin