Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 08:35:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        gryphon@healer.com (Coranth Gryphon)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@taronga.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> Crontab entries, yes. Package data, I could go either way with.

Package data could equally well go in /usr/local. It really doesn't belong in
/var.

> Aren't "at" jobs single shot, therefore volotile?

I have seen people running "at" jobs that re-triggered themselves, to get
the effect of variable-period rescheduling too complex for cron. You could
do as well with a cron-run daemon that read a more complex schedule file.

I'll buy "at" in var. I think /etc/dumpdates might go in /var as well.

> > This is a problem anyway, since there are other per-machine config files
> > in /usr/local.

> That's part of the complaint. They shouldn't be.

/usr/local/ghostscript/3.0/Fontmap?

System V uses "/etc/default" for per-package config files. They're not really
templates, they're things like /etc/csh.login.

/etc/default/ghostscript/Fontmap?