Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:35:59 +0100
From:      "a064983" <eddy.houthuys@pandora.be>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   use the subject: DHCP or static?

Message:

Hi,

I have been trying to install FreeBSD for the first time and am having
some difficulties setting up my cable connection.  I have a Linksys
ethernetfast dsl/cable router which is setup for DHCP. My windows
machine is connected to it as a DHCP client and seems to work fine.

What I would like to do is connect my FreeBSD box not as a DHCP client
but assign a "static" ip such as 192.168.1.5 which the router allows you
to do. So in rc.conf I have:

ifconfig_vr0 = "inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter = "192.168.1.1"

This is same setup a friend of mine in the US--I'm from Belgium--has and
it works fine (though he runs his own nameserver.)

The problem I'm having is that I'm getting host lookup failures.  If I
look in my router's status I can see that it has found two nameservers.
Do these need to be in resolv.conf as well or should lookups simply be
passed to the router which will forward them apprpriately?

Finally, what should I specify as a hostname in rc.conf with a DHCP
connection and how should this appear in /etc/hosts?

Thanks for you help,

Eddy Houthuys