Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:22:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, tlambert@primenet.com, dyson@iquest.net, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions/problems with vm_fault() in Stable

Terry Lambert said:

> I'm not trying to 'type' a VFS layer.  The problem is that some
> idiot (who was right) thought it's be faster to implement block
> access in FS's that need block access, instead of creating a generic
> "stream tail" that implemented the buffer cache interface.
>
> If they had done that, then the VOP_GETPAGES/VOP_PUTPAGES would
> directly access the VOP_GETBLOCKRANGE/VOP_PUTBLOCKRANGE of the
> underling tail, and FFS could stack on top of it, and "stack"
> on top of other FS's (although it would only use a subset of
> the operations, which would pretty much result in it doing the
> same thing as if it wasn't stacked, unless you implemented
> VOP_GETBLOCKRANGE/VOP_PUTBLOCKRANGE, for example to implement
> "vinum" as a stacking layer).

Lots of I/O doesn't require explicit system calls (but are faults.)
When mixing layering and coherent mmaps, the VFS paradigm is just
not very useful.  VFS as it is supports a subset of what is needed
for coherency (except if lots of invalidates are passed, and even
then there are problems.)

If you can show where a memory coherency mechanism (like MESI) is
provided inside of the VFS, then it might be possible.  I cannot
see it though.

VFS supporting simple read/write type system calls is really different
than distributed memory schemes (and coherent mmap capabilities are
very similar and analogous.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid