Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:29:18 -0400
From:      "David Stanford" <dthomas53@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DenyHosts Startup Script

Hello all,

So I've recently just installed
DenyHosts<http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/>on my FreeBSD
6.1-RC box and can't, for the life of me, get this daemon to start on boot.
I installed version 2.4b using the setup.py script. I'e moved daemon-contro=
to /usr/local/bin and all configuration files from the default
/usr/share/denyhosts directory to /usr/local/etc/denyhosts (including
denyhosts.cfg). Here is what I've tried to get this to start at boot:

1.) Created a simple script file called denyhosts.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d=
:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/daemon-control start

2.) Changed the previous denyhosts.sh script file to this:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
  start)
    /usr/local/bin/daemon-control start
    ;;
  stop)
    /usr/local/bin/daemon-control stop
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: $0 {start | stop}"
    ;;
esac

exit 0

3.) Created an /etc/rc.local using the same script from 1.):

#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/daemon-control start

For all of these attempts, I even chmod'd them all to 777, but still no
good. I even changed both 1.) and 3.) to "/usr/local/bin/daemon-control
debug > ~/debug.output" and though the debug.output file was created, there
was no information in it. So now, 6 hours later (yes, 6 hours) of playing
with this has me now desperate to find anyone who has this set to start on
boot. Anyone?

-David