Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need testers, Broadcom BCM570x gigE driver

Ok, it's taken some doing, but I finally have a preliminary driver
for the Broadcom BCM570x gigE controllers ready for testing. The code
is at:
	http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Broadcom/4.x

This is for people with the following hardware:

	3Com 3c996-T gigE NIC
	SysKonnect 9D21 gigE NIC
	Dell PowerEdge 2550 server with integrated BCM5700

I should have a FreeBSD 5.0-current driver ready soon (like, probably
tomorrow). For now, only the source is available, and you need to
perform the following steps to use it:

1) Install FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE or later
2) Make sure you have the kernel source installed in /usr/src
3) Copy brgphy.c and brgphyreg.h to /sys/dev/mii. These files
   replace the copies that are already there. (You can save the
   older versions if you want.)
4) mkdir /sys/dev/bge
5) Copy if_bge.c and if_bgereg.h to /sys/dev/bge
6) Edit /sys/conf/files and add the following line:

dev/bge/if_bge.c	optional bge

7) Edit your kernel config file (e.g. /sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL) and
   add the following line

device		bge		# Broadcom BCM570x gigabit ethernet

8) Config and compile a new kernel

Preliminary tests have yielded the following results:

TCP, normal size frames: 440Mbps
TCP, jumbo frames: 650Mbps
UDP TX, normal frames: 710Mbps
UDP TX, jumbo frames: 915Mbps

Hardware checksum offload is enabled by default. These tests were done
with the card in a 64-bit PCI slot.

Anyone who has one of these cards and can test this driver for me, please
do so and let me know your results. There may be one or two rough edges,
so don't be too surprised if you run into an unusual problem.
Only problem I've observed so far: on my 32-bit test box, RX checksum
offload sometimes didn't behave right. To disable checksum offload,
#define BGE_CSUM_FEATURES to 0, then recompile.

-Bill