Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:47:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD and WebNFS

> Looks like NetBSD just imported WebNFS support.  Just thought I'd pass
> this along because it is relevant to the market nitche that FreeBSD is
> generally used in.

WebNFS is pretty trivial; it just means "interpret the handle 0 as
an unauthenticated connection to the WebNFS root".

WebNFS is not terribly useful for more than one exported volume,
unfortunately; it's a hack.  That's why CIFS endangers it.

As a hack on a hack, you can seperate services by IP alias to get
multiple volumes.  This is not terribly satisfactory.  The alternative
is to unify the NFS namespace, which is not trivial.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.