Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 02:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Whoohoo!  JDK works! (was Re: JDK 1.0.2 SIGSEGV?!)

When I complain about something, I usually like to follow up if I manage
to fix the problem.  In this case (the SIGSEGV error I was complaining
about with "unsupported" FreeBSD JDK 1.0.2 on freefall), I'm proud to say
the problem is solved.

Obviously, something changed in -current between the time the JDK 1.0.2
was built, and when I ran it.  Something that could crash the JDK very
early on, before it even printed a startup message.  Libc would be a
candidate, as would libm.  But let's think, what major component of our
shared library architecture has changed recently (even prompting a major
outcry as the original patch caused machines to crash)?  That's right:
ld.so.

Call it intuition, but I suspected ld.so in the back of my mind all along,
but didn't feel like grabbing an older copy out of CVS to play with.  Long
story short, when I CVSup'ed -current tonight and saw rtld.c had changed
(twice), I decided to rebuild ld.so, install it, cross my fingers, say a
little prayer, start java, expecting the worst, and ... it worked!

Let that be a lesson to all FreeBSD hackers (actually two lessons):  1)
First impressions are almost always correct, and 2) There is heavy magic
in ld.so! I can't wait to play with Java tomorrow, on my favorite Free
UNIX!  Whoohoo...

-- Jake