Date:      10 Jul 2001 08:30:25 -0400
From:      Greg Troxel <gdt@fnord.ir.bbn.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless base stations

Can people comment if these cheap APs are running in true
'infrastructure mode' and can support multiple APs on an ethernet with
roaming across APs similar to the Lucent AP500?
Specifically, if I bought 14 of the cheapest Linksys bridges and put 2
to a floor on my 7-story building all on an Ethernet run around to all
14 of them, and set them to different channels, would I then be able
to wander around floor to floor and stay on the net with the same IP
address?

One person commented 'no filtering by MAC'.  Does this mean that every
packet on the wired Ethernet will end up over the air, even if it is
unicast and the corresponding address is not associated with the AP?
Does this differ between the cheap APs and the Lucent products
(AP-500/1000, ignoring the RG)?

I realize I'm asking different questions; I'm considering what it
takes to set up my building at work rather than a single AP for home
(I have a Lucent card in a pcmcia bridge in 'create IBSS' mode there).

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>