Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:32:46 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed code: automatic setting of hostname from MAC address

--qUsYCxAE223BCwdt

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 08:45:02PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> Hmm.  I did not understand Luigi's reference to /etc/hosts, but
> I had assumed that the feature was similar to how MacOS 10 works.
> The machine gets an IP address via DHCP (for instance), and
> then sets the machine's hostname based on what DNS says is the
> hostname for that IP address.  That works out pretty well.

Not directly relevant to the topic at hand, but FreeBSD does this too.
Just make sure that you that you don't have a 'hostname' line in=20
/etc/rc.conf and dhclient will pick up whatever hostname is offered
by the DHCP server.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--qUsYCxAE223BCwdt

--qUsYCxAE223BCwdt--