Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:54:56 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is my disk going bad?

>I just noticed that I've been getting these for a while:
>
> sd1(ncr0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:119a05 csi:6,a8,3,41 asc:11,43  field replaceable unit: 15 sks:80,40
>
>sd1 is a Quantum 1080S.  I don't have the probe messages since the
>medium error messages have scrolled them away.
>
>I just yesterday turned on remapping:
>
>% scsi -f /dev/rsd1 -m 1
>AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
>ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
>
>but it's not remapping, it's still returning errors.
>
>Is this the disk going so bad that it can't reallocate to good blocks?

   I've had similar problems with Quantums on wcarchive. With AWRE and ARRE
enabled, even if the drive is clearly able to read the block sometimes, it will
never do a reallocate. Very annoying. My only solution thus far has been to
RMA the drives with Quantum.
   It would be nice if FreeBSD had a way to force a reallocation...

-DG

David Greenman