Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:25:43 +0200
From:      Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
To:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/17122: crash due to: softdep_disk_write_com

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 11:38:45PM -0700, Rahul Dhesi wrote:
> In my case the machine does many things:
>    squid proxy cache
>    incoming and outgoing mail
>    NFS service for exported mail file system
>    general-purpose shell access for users
>    recursive name service for PPP users
>    authoritative name service for one busy DNS zone

We have several FreeBSD machines running quite smoothly with softupdates
enabled, under varying loads.  The only time softupdates proved to cause
instability was on our (heavily loaded) NFS server.  Disabling softupdates
made the crashes go away.  The problem existed in 3.4-RELEASE and is still
present in 4.0-RELEASE.

--
mwest@uct.ac.za