Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:32:33 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Cisco

> On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 01:06:09PM +0200, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav  wrote:
> > ISTR several reports of FreeBSD machines having seemingly
> > unexplainable trouble talking to the outside world through a Cisco
> > router, but can't seem to find anything of relevance in the list
> > archives. Am I remembering correctly? The background for this question
> > is that I have a FreeBSD box which seems to never respond to IGMP.
>
> IGMP is a Cisco propriarity protocol and used for dynamic
> routing between Cisco Routers. The advantage of using IGMP
> or EIGMP is, that you can route IP, IPX and appletalk using
> this routing protocol.

I thought that the original question was in the context of multicast
traffic.  That's consistant with the problem statement: IGMP is
the Internet Group Management Protocol, which is hardly Cisco
specific.

I think that you're thinking of IGRP, which is a Cisco-proprietary
distance-vector interior routing protocol.

I don't have any problems with my FreeBSD box and a neighboring Cisco
router managing group membership with IGMP.

louie