Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 16:07:14 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_version in C [was: Re: Perl scripts that need rewriting - Progress!]

Hi,

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 04:19:29PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> +++ version/perform.c   14 May 2002 12:41:41 -0000
> [...]
> +       strlcpy(tmp, PORTS_DIR, PATH_MAX);
> +       strlcat(tmp, "/INDEX", PATH_MAX);
>
> I'd suggest snprintf(3)

Yeah.  Like I said, it needs a bit of polishing.  I tend to do things
this way while I'm developing because I find it easier to keep track of
what's going where in the string.  There's also a bunch of places where
the 'l' versions aren't needed...

> Why noy use matchinstalled() which do something similar?

I looked at it, but it was taking more code to make it work than to
duplicate it because the -s flag is not a regex or a globing pattern.
It's a poorly designed interface...  Now that it's working I'll look at
it again and see if I can get it to do the right thing.  Simplifying
working code is a lot easier than building it.

> + funny:
> +    warnx("This is a very funny looking INDEX!");
> +    return 1;
>
> I don't think this is a good choice for an error message.

;-)

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/