Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:28:38 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Most BSD-like and games-friendly Linux?

What do you do when you want to play action games?  I'm talking heavy
3D OpenGL graphics, not just xbill. :-)

At the moment I have to use that unmentionable OS from Redmond, and though
it crashes and is generally stupid, it usually delivers enough action
gaming to satisfy.  But is there an alternative?

My first choice would be FreeBSD, of course, but I've had not a great deal
of success with FreeBSD and 3D action gaming.  XP is coming soon, and I
want to not even have the displeasure of installing it even once, not
even for a taste.  That leaves a Linux distro.  But which one?

I'm interested in opinions on the most game friendly, and most BSD-like
Linux distro around.  I've got a Geforce2 in an Athlon box and want to
try Quake and Unreal and such.  I want to install and play, not debug
the Linuxulator or hopeless game install scripts.  I want nVidia's
display driver to just work without tricks.  That sort of thing.

Anyone willing to admit to being a Linux gaming expert on a FreeBSD list? :-)

Stephen.