Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 20:44:31 -0700
From:      "Rhett Karr" <rhett2@bbcc.ctc.edu>
To:        <dufault@hda.com>, <pmartin@vt.edu>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Digiboard Xem drivers for FreeBSD

I too have a new intelligent PC/32em DigiBoard (Xem), and discovered that
it didn't have the support under FreeBSD that I thought it did.  I have
been assured by several peers that it is one of the best boards in the
industry. I found the discussion about this board in the FreeBSD archives,
but have not seen any announcements about whether or not drivers would be
available soon.  Having done most of my college university work on a free
Unix operating system (Linux), I would prefer to stay with such an
operating system.  (i.e., I really don't want to go with NT).  I have found
several reasons why FreeBSD is a better choice than Linux for a stable and
upgradable server operating system.  Unfortunately, I am under a timeline.
If support for my Xem DigiBoard won't be available in the next four weeks,
I may have to go back to Linux (which Digi has a supported driver for).
You mentioned to pmartin@vt.edu that if he was faced with going with
another operating system because of this choice to let you know.  I am
faced with exactly that.  Having written a few device drivers in the past I
can appreciate how much is involved.  If anyone can develop a driver for
this board, I would be deeply grateful.