Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 02:49:33 GMT
From:      David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mutt stalls with Sending message...

when I send a message using mutt,  and then send it, it displays the
Sending message... at the bottom of the screen - which it should -
it stays there for a long time 5 - 30 min or more before sending though.

ps ax | grep send
shows
sendmail: accepting connections on port 25 (sendmail)
sendmail -oem -oi -- php-general@lists.php.net

I know my mail server has to be authenticated before mail can be
sent - which I do  at the same time with a POP.
My crontab does a POP at the top of every hour.

I think it also takes just as long when I use the simple
mail program - it's just mail exits after I send, while mutt holds
the screen hostage until the mail has been sent.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Maybe it only sends after crontab does a POP?