Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:01:36 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        faisal gillani <fasi_74@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security patches

--On Sunday, October 17, 2004 06:12:08 PM -0700 faisal gillani
<fasi_74@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello i am new to FreeBSD & must say it have been a
> ipresssive time with it
> .. FreeBSD runs my server  !!!! :)
> how can i update my OS of the security patches
> released by FreeBSD guys ?
>
> i am use to windows update & Red HAT Network ..

You need to install freebsd-update and portupgrade from the ports.
Freebsd-update is found in /usr/ports/security and portupgrade is found in
/usr/ports sysutils.  You install a port by cding to the directory and
typing "% make install clean".

You should also go to the FreeBSD website and read the Handbook (also found
in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook) section on ports so you
understand how they work.  Once you've installed freebsd-update and
portupgrade, read both man pages so you understand how they work.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member