Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:50:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   high bandwidth I/O motherboard (any recommendation?)

Even the PCI spec. says 32-bit/33MHz PCI bus should have 132MBps
I/O bandwidth, but none of these 32-bit/33MHz PCI chipset (Intel
or VIA) can give that high I/O bandwidth.

The best I/O bandwidth I have seen is about 60MBps under FreeBSD 4.2.
I am not sure if this is limited by the memory controller or the PCI
bus controller. (I don't think the O.S. can control this bandwidth.)

The newest PCI chipsets I have tested are:

	Intel 810/815e + 82801AA/82801BA
	VIA VT82C694X + VT82C686A/VT82C686B

Any comments/suggestion on which motherboard can give 120MBps I/O bandwidth?

Thanks,

	-Jin