Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:24:55 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        will@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to tag ports before doing major changes and suggestion ...

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 07:48:05PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 01:44:32AM +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > as I remember. Will Andrew (CC:) began to do that some time ago.
> > no sure about a consensus about his point of view.
>=20
> Actually, it was David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.org>'s idea.  Others
> picked it up after him, including me (where possible).

Well, Maxim was against that. He suggested making use of cvs checkout -D.
'though I'd like "spoken names" more ;-)

If we would choose symbolic names in the ports area, then the tricky
part is certainly to deceide, when does it make sense and when not
to use them.

Having nearly 5000 ports is certainly a big multiplicator for the use
of symbolic tags all over the place.

For me personally I deceided not to use them, until I see a consens
or a note in the porters handbook.

And I want to repeat, that I'd really like to see a complete ascii
file of the porters handbook if possible. It would make searching
for strings like "tag" more easier without having to read the complete
handbook.

[ trimmed To and Cc ]

	Andreas ///

--=20
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.2 SMP
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/--