Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:51:25 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers On Free-BSD

Scott Pilz wrote:

> I e-mailed Procmail's lists, and got a few answers, but I would like to
> hear what other BSD-users/coders have to say, as they have helped me out
> so much in the past.
>
> We need a new mail server. BSD platform, that will handle over 10k users.
>
> I do *want* to run Sendmail. As I am somewhat familer with it's inner
> workings. I have tried QMail's SMTP however I just, ... do not like it
> (perhaps I do not know it, perhaps I do not want to know it, but it's just
> not in my taste right now).

I can sympathize. Had that same reaction when I took qmail for a
spin some years ago. 't was nice, but not for me.

Still... So for this new box I decided to go with postfix. Thusfar
I like it. I don't know what it misses but whatever it is I don't
miss *it* <g>. Yet...

I also went with Dan's Maildir/ structure which postfix supports.
For the users I installed courier-imap from the ports. The only
thing I haven't got working yet is the imapd-ssl. Don't know why
but then again, haven't really looked at it yet. Regular imap,
pop3 and pop3 with ssl work so... It'll wait.

Also postfix boosts reasonable compatibility with sendmails *outer*
workings. Makes some things easier.

Roelof

PS I choose postfix for its safety assurances, like qmails, more
than that it reputes to be way faster than qmail <g>. Safety
first. A broken car doesn't move all that fast, either.

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.
Nisser home -- http://nl.nisser.com/