Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:17:33 +0200
From:      "Morten A. Middelthon" <morten@freenix.no>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with filesystem on RAID5 array (fsck -b?)

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:54:23PM +0200, Morten A. Middelthon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:49:37PM +0200, Morten A. Middelthon wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >=20
> > I'm running FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 on a Dell PowerEdge 1850 with an att=
ached
> > Dell PowerVault 220S disk cabinet. The cabinet has two RAID5 arrays eac=
h with
> > 6 x 300GB SCSI disks. The RAID controller is a Dell PERC4/DC using the =
amr
> > driver. Two days ago a disk failed in one of the arrays. Rebuilding the=
 array
> > after replacing the broken disk did not work as it should, so after dis=
cussing
> > our options with Dell support they recommended I should delete the arra=
y on
> > the controller BIOS, then create a new identical array without initiali=
zing
> > it. According to their theory the data should be intact. Unfortunately,=
 that
> > doesn't seem to be the case. When FreeBSD boots I get an "UNEXPECTED
> > INCONSISTENCY" error message when the filesystem is mounted, and then I=
 have
> > to run fsck manually. When running fsck I get this message:
> <snip>
>=20
> I just noticed another thing. The two arrays should be identical in size,
> although they are not:
>=20
> amr0: delete logical drives supported by controller
> amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
> amrd0: 1430505MB (2929674240 sectors) RAID 5 (optimal)
> amrd1: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
> amrd1: 1430400MB (2929459200 sectors) RAID 5 (optimal)
> amr1: delete logical drives supported by controller
>=20
> Is it perhaps possible to change the partition info to match the old
> functioning array?

Here is the dmesg output before I re-created the array:

amr0: delete logical drives supported by controller
amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd0: 1430505MB (2929674240 sectors) RAID 5 (optimal)
amrd1: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd1: 1430505MB (2929674240 sectors) RAID 5 (degraded)
amr1: delete logical drives supported by controller

as you can see, the volumes are identical

--=20
Morten A. Middelthon

Elveys burroo muney frum a pesseemist;
he-a duesn't ixpect tu be-a peeed beck.