Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 11:03:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        wilcox@math.psu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR53c710 VLB SCSI Driver.

Peter Dufault wrote:

> Bob Willcox writes:
>
> > Wide vs. narrow, similar to the differences between the 810 and
> > the 820/825.
>
> The manual is sketchy, but it does appear that the indirect block moves
> are handled differently between the 700/710 and the 720 (see 10-2 of
> the 720 programmer's guide).

My understanding, from talking with the guy at IBM here that did the
original 700 driver for AIX, that the 710 and 810 were essentially
the same except for bus support.  I have no first hand knowledge
though, since all of my work was on 720/810/820/825.

> > I ported the AIX 720 driver to run on the 810 equiped
> > PowerPC systems a couple of years ago.  Biggest difference was in
> > the configuration.  I have data books for the 720, 810, & 825 in
> > case I could help with any specific questions.
>
> I have all of those also.  Nothing 710 specific, though.

Same here.

> > BTW: I have a vested interest in the NCR driver.  My two primary
> > systems here are using them since recently upgrading them to
> > Pentiums.  (Also, since I just retired from IBM 4 days ago, I no
> > longer have a conflict of interest. :-)
>
> Good - You'll be on the list to help Terry in the future Power PC port.

Ok, I'd be glad to.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com (or obiwan%bob@uunet.uu.net)