Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:12:04 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HUGE kernel built from 3.2 CDRom

Hi there-

 By any chance did you run "config -g KERNEL" or do you have a
"-g" hanging around in your /etc/make.conf somewhere? It looks like you
managed to build a debug kernel, and the debugging symbols are big, as
you've noticed.
 You also noticed that stripping a kernel is going to cause Bad
Things(tm) to happen; I wouldn't recommend it.

 Try building the kernel without debugging symbols, and that should cut
its size way down.

Eric