Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 1995 10:37:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Joachim Koenig" <joachim@microdesk8.ee.uni-sb.de>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: printer recommendation?

Brian Tao wrote:
>    THe 4MP comes with the JetDirect interface built-in and has a
>zillion different serial, parallel and network connectors.  You should
>be able to get it for less than US$2000 (with 6 megs RAM).

It's the 4Mplus, not the 4MP that comes with the jetdirect card. The 4MP
is not available any more and replaced by the newer 5MP model. The 5MP
is also a bit cheaper (~1000$) as it only comes with 3MB RAM instead of 6.

If one needs the speed of the printing engine, than Amancio should go for
the 4Mplus which gives about 12 pages per minute. For about 500$ the
printer can be made duplex.
If the price plays a role, than the 5MP is the way to go, giving 6 ppm,
but the memory seems to be a bit to small especially if halftone-printing
is important.

I have the 4P (without postscript) and for normal TeX-output (via dvips->
ghostscript->PCL), the processor speed is fast enough to get the 4 ppm the
engine supports. But for pictures, I do not get more than 100 kB/sec,
although the data path is faster (I've written a parallel port IEEE1284
driver which uses the parallel port FIFO of SMCs Superio chips, but was
disappointed that tiger.ps [as PCL, 600KB] did not print faster than
without the FIFO. The driver is not yet clean enough for publication 8-(,
but for your information: it supports nibble/byte mode reverse data transfer
over the standard parallel port to read printer status and configuration
data).

Joachim

--
email: joachim@ee.uni-sb.de   University of Saarland, Germany, Europe
phone: +49 681 3023043		     suffering should be creative,